Truck and Coach Technician


Applicants must be currently employed in the trade; must be formally registered as apprentices with the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU); and have a valid “Offer of Classroom Training” from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities that includes your Ministry Client ID and approved Class Number.

Eligibility is determined by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. For more information please see application information.

Ontario College Certificate
24 Weeks

Program Code: 0529M01FWO
Academic Year: 2013/2014


Our Program

This Ontario College Certificate apprenticeship program completes the in-class requirements for the Truck and Coach Technician apprentices, as determined by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. Apprentices who have completed the Commercial Vehicle and Equipment Level 01 and are currently working in the truck and coach repair industry can continue their education in this program.

The program consists of three 8-week levels. During each level, apprentices study topics, such as trade practices and auxiliary systems, engine systems, electrical systems, fuel systems, vehicle electronic management and emissions systems, drive trains and steering, suspension and brake systems.

SUCCESS FACTORS

This program is well-suited for students who:

  • Enjoy a hands-on approach to learning about the truck and coach industry.
  • Have strong observational and analytical skills.
  • Can work independently.

Your Career

A broad range of employment opportunities may be available to apprentices and graduates of the program. The truck and coach repair industry may include such businesses as: bus/coach lines, large and small trucking companies, construction companies, manufacturers, and public and private sector fleets.

Courses

Programs at Algonquin College are delivered using a variety of instruction modes. Courses may be offered in the classroom or lab, entirely online, or in a hybrid mode which combines classroom sessions with online learning activities. Upon registration, each full-time student is provided an Algonquin email account which is used to communicate important information about program or course events.
Level: 01 Hours
TRK8307 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of diesel engines pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include engine operating and component fundamentals, engine system identification, maintenance and service procedures. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
Engine Systems I In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of diesel engines pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include engine operating and component fundamentals, engine system identification, maintenance and service procedures. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
40.0
TRK8308 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to trade practices and procedures in the repair and service of commercial vehicles and equipment. Students are prepared for a variety of commercial vehicle trades. Topics include occupational health and safety, precision measuring tools, fastening devices and torquing procedures, bearings, seals, and sealants. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313 and WEL8308
Trade Practices In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to trade practices and procedures in the repair and service of commercial vehicles and equipment. Students are prepared for a variety of commercial vehicle trades. Topics include occupational health and safety, precision measuring tools, fastening devices and torquing procedures, bearings, seals, and sealants. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313 and WEL8308
32.0
TRK8309 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to fluid power systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include fluid power fundamentals, components, graphic symbols, principles of operation, hydraulic fluids and filters, conductors and connectors and maintenance schedules. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
Fluid Power Systems 1 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to fluid power systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include fluid power fundamentals, components, graphic symbols, principles of operation, hydraulic fluids and filters, conductors and connectors and maintenance schedules. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
24.0
TRK8310 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of drive train systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include push-type clutch and flywheel assemblies, gearing fundamentals, single countershaft manual transmissions, drive shafts, power take-off shafts, universal joints and single reduction drive axle assemblies. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
Drive Train Systems 1 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of drive train systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include push-type clutch and flywheel assemblies, gearing fundamentals, single countershaft manual transmissions, drive shafts, power take-off shafts, universal joints and single reduction drive axle assemblies. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8311 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
32.0
TRK8311 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of brake systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include purpose, fundamentals, principles of operation, maintenance, and the servicing of hydraulic and air brake systems. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
Wheel End Assemblies and Brake Systems In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of brake systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include purpose, fundamentals, principles of operation, maintenance, and the servicing of hydraulic and air brake systems. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8312 and TRK8313
32.0
TRK8312 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of fuel systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include fundamentals of diesel fuel systems, diesel fuel injection principles, diesel fuel injection sub-systems and diesel hydraulic injection. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8313
Fuel Systems 1 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of fuel systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include fundamentals of diesel fuel systems, diesel fuel injection principles, diesel fuel injection sub-systems and diesel hydraulic injection. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8313
24.0
TRK8313 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of electrical systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include introduction to electricity, electrical laws, test equipment, circuits and calculations, circuits and protective devices, circuit repair, electromagnetic devices and battery fundamentals. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312
Electrical Systems 1 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to the operating principles and construction features of electrical systems pertaining to the various commercial vehicles and equipment trades. Topics include introduction to electricity, electrical laws, test equipment, circuits and calculations, circuits and protective devices, circuit repair, electromagnetic devices and battery fundamentals. Approximately 60 per cent of the course is dedicated to theory instruction, the remaining 40 per cent centres on practical applications.

Co-requisites: TRK8307 and TRK8308 and TRK8309 and TRK8310 and TRK8311 and TRK8312
48.0
WEL8308 In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to trade practices and procedures in the repair and service of commercial vehicles and equipment Students are prepared for a variety of commercial vehicle trades. Topics include heating and cutting methods. Trade Practices - Welding In this basic course, apprentices are introduced to trade practices and procedures in the repair and service of commercial vehicles and equipment Students are prepared for a variety of commercial vehicle trades. Topics include heating and cutting methods. 8.0
Level: 02 Hours
TRK8831 This course covers the theory and applications of diesel cylinder heads and valve trains, diesel cylinder block assemblies, and gasoline and alternate fuelled engines. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis and servicing of these engine systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8307

Co-requisites: TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
Engine Systems II This course covers the theory and applications of diesel cylinder heads and valve trains, diesel cylinder block assemblies, and gasoline and alternate fuelled engines. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis and servicing of these engine systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8307

Co-requisites: TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
40.0
TRK8832 This course covers the theory and applications of heavy-duty drivelines and includes pull-type clutches and flywheel assemblies, multiple countershaft manual shift transmissions and auxiliary sections, multiple speed and double reduction drive axle assemblies, power divided tandem drive assemblies and electronically automated standard transmissions. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8310

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
Drive Train Systems II This course covers the theory and applications of heavy-duty drivelines and includes pull-type clutches and flywheel assemblies, multiple countershaft manual shift transmissions and auxiliary sections, multiple speed and double reduction drive axle assemblies, power divided tandem drive assemblies and electronically automated standard transmissions. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8310

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
40.0
TRK8833 This course covers the theory and applications of air, hydraulic and air over hydraulic brake systems, tires and wheel assemblies, wheel end assemblies, and mechanical and air suspension systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8311

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8834 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
Steering, Suspension and Brake Systems I This course covers the theory and applications of air, hydraulic and air over hydraulic brake systems, tires and wheel assemblies, wheel end assemblies, and mechanical and air suspension systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8311

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8834 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
48.0
TRK8834 This course covers the theory and applications of diesel injection systems, electronic unit injection systems, engine governing, and gasoline and alternate fuel injection systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8312

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
Fuel Systems II This course covers the theory and applications of diesel injection systems, electronic unit injection systems, engine governing, and gasoline and alternate fuel injection systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8312

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8835 and TRK8836
24.0
TRK8835 This course covers the theory and applications of electrical and electronic fundamentals, heavy duty batteries, cranking circuits, electrical circuit interpretation, and truck and coach auxiliary electrical components. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8313

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8836
Electrical Systems II This course covers the theory and applications of electrical and electronic fundamentals, heavy duty batteries, cranking circuits, electrical circuit interpretation, and truck and coach auxiliary electrical components. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8313

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8836
40.0
TRK8836 This course covers the theory and applications of electronic service tools, vehicle computer fundamentals and electronic input circuit components. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8312 and TRK8313

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8835
Vehicle Electronic Management and Emissions Systems I This course covers the theory and applications of electronic service tools, vehicle computer fundamentals and electronic input circuit components. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8312 and TRK8313

Co-requisites: TRK8831 and TRK8832 and TRK8833 and TRK8834 and TRK8835
16.0
TRK8837 This course covers the theory and application of applied trade practices, information accessing, communication systems, cabs and control systems, and truck, trailer, and articulating coach combinations.

Prerequisites: TRK8308
Trade Practices and Auxiliary Systems This course covers the theory and application of applied trade practices, information accessing, communication systems, cabs and control systems, and truck, trailer, and articulating coach combinations.

Prerequisites: TRK8308
8.0
WEL8810 This course covers the theory and application of arc welding and MIG welding.

Prerequisites: WEL8308
Trade Practices and Auxiliary Systems - Welding This course covers the theory and application of arc welding and MIG welding.

Prerequisites: WEL8308
24.0
Level: 03 Hours
TRK8840 This course covers the theory and applications of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems. This course also covers the regulatory requirements relating to the truck and coach trade.

Co-requisites: TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
Trade Practices and Auxiliary Systems II This course covers the theory and applications of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems. This course also covers the regulatory requirements relating to the truck and coach trade.

Co-requisites: TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
24.0
TRK8841 This course covers the theory and applications of heavy-duty intake and exhaust systems, turbochargers and roots blowers, cooling systems and coolants, lubrication systems and oils, engine brakes and retarders, engine component failure analysis, engine diagnostic procedures and practices, diesel engine run-in and testing. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8831

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
Engine Systems III This course covers the theory and applications of heavy-duty intake and exhaust systems, turbochargers and roots blowers, cooling systems and coolants, lubrication systems and oils, engine brakes and retarders, engine component failure analysis, engine diagnostic procedures and practices, diesel engine run-in and testing. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8831

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
40.0
TRK8842 This course covers the theory and applications of torque converters, automatic transmissions, electronically controlled automatic transmissions, transfer cases, drop boxes and power take-off assemblies. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8832

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
Drive Train Systems III This course covers the theory and applications of torque converters, automatic transmissions, electronically controlled automatic transmissions, transfer cases, drop boxes and power take-off assemblies. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8832

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
40.0
TRK8843 This course covers the theory and applications of brake system diagnostics, anti-lock brake systems (ABS), automatic traction control systems (ATC), roll and directional stability systems (RDS), medium and heavy duty steering axle systems, vehicle alignment, mechanical and hydraulic power assist steering systems, coupling devices, and truck, coach, bus, and trailer frames and bodies. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems. This course also covers pneumatic circuit interpretation and analysis.

Prerequisites: TRK8833

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
Steering, Suspension and Brake Systems II This course covers the theory and applications of brake system diagnostics, anti-lock brake systems (ABS), automatic traction control systems (ATC), roll and directional stability systems (RDS), medium and heavy duty steering axle systems, vehicle alignment, mechanical and hydraulic power assist steering systems, coupling devices, and truck, coach, bus, and trailer frames and bodies. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems. This course also covers pneumatic circuit interpretation and analysis.

Prerequisites: TRK8833

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8844 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
48.0
TRK8844 This course covers the theory and applications of diesel fuel systems including hydraulically actuated electronic unit injector systems (HEUI), electronic unit pump systems, time-pressure electronic common rail systems, common rail accumulator systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8834

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
Fuel Systems III This course covers the theory and applications of diesel fuel systems including hydraulically actuated electronic unit injector systems (HEUI), electronic unit pump systems, time-pressure electronic common rail systems, common rail accumulator systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8834

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8845 and TRK8846
24.0
TRK8845 This course covers the theory and applications of heavy duty charging circuits, electronic ignition systems, and electrical component reconditioning and troubleshooting. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8835

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8846
Electrical Systems III This course covers the theory and applications of heavy duty charging circuits, electronic ignition systems, and electrical component reconditioning and troubleshooting. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8835

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8846
32.0
TRK8846 This course covers the theory and applications of customer and proprietary data programming, multiplexing, emission controls and testing, hybrid drive systems and collision avoidance systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8836

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845
Vehicle Electronic Management and Emissions Systems II This course covers the theory and applications of customer and proprietary data programming, multiplexing, emission controls and testing, hybrid drive systems and collision avoidance systems. Topics include an exploration of definitions, operating principles, design features, inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair and servicing of these components and systems.

Prerequisites: TRK8836

Co-requisites: TRK8840 and TRK8841 and TRK8842 and TRK8843 and TRK8844 and TRK8845
32.0

Fees & Expenses

Tuition Fees: $400 per level.

Information Technology Fee: $31 per term.

Students paying the Information Technology fee are provided with a network account, an email address and Internet access. For more information please visit our website at www.algonquincollege.com/its/services/it_fee.htm.

Students are responsible for supplies, including textbooks, safety footwear, safety glasses, and parking and locker fees, as applicable.

Admission Requirements 

Program Eligibility

  • Applicants must be formally registered as apprentices, must have obtained an Ontario Secondary School Diploma, must be currently employed in the trade, and must be released by employers to attend the College.
  • Eligibility is determined by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

Application Information

Registration for Apprenticeship programs takes place through the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. For further information, contact:

Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
Employment and Training Division
347 Preston Street, 3rd Floor
Ottawa, ON K1S 3H8
613-731-7100
1-877-221-1220

Additional Information

For more information, please contact Martin Restoule, at 613-727-4723 ext. 5153 or martin.restoule@algonquincollege.com.

Every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this publication. The College reserves the right to modify or cancel any course, program, fee, timetable, or campus location at any time